COUNCIL’S STRATEGIC PRIORITIES 2018-2021
Focus on multi-modal transportation solutions that achieve positive traffic and pedestrian flows throughout the community.
- Improve existing traffic flows throughout Cochrane by focusing on existing corridors.
- Continue to work with Alberta Transportation on design and construction of the 1A/22 Interchange.
- Advocate for highway improvements within the Town boundaries including intersections at Centre Ave. and 5th Ave.
- Design Centre Avenue intersection and approaches to railway tracks to accommodate four lanes and ultimately a grade-separated crossing.
- Design and construct Bow River Bridge and connecting road network to ensure safe pedestrian and cycling connectivity.
- Investigate transit strategies for consideration in 2018.
- Improve, plan and advocate for local and regional pathway networks that connect all communities.
Community Development and Planning
Focus on improved development and land use plans that align with the Social Policy Framework and Growth Management Strategy in order to promote a complete community.
- Implement a water strategy; upgrade wastewater and water infrastructure to accommodate future growth.
- Review and update Municipal Development Plan implementing a system for an annual review and an update every five years.
- Review and update Land Use Bylaw implementing a system for an annual review and an update every five years.
- Prioritize commercial and industrial development while broadening residential housing options.
- Focus on development of Growth Management Regional Plan and Servicing Plan.
Focus on improved community engagement opportunities.
- Update Public Engagement Policy to ensure a clear approach and meaningful and useful outcomes.
- Establish engagement strategies for key community issues and projects (e.g. Smart Cities, Transit).
- Establish engagement opportunities with youth, seniors, neighbouring communities and First Nations.
Community Facilities and Services
Focus on services and spaces that achieve a safe and improved sense of community.
- Advocate with Alberta Health Services for improved emergency, physical and mental health services.
- Design and build a new integrated Police detachment.
- Complete designs for:
- Fifth Avenue site (including Lions Rodeo Grounds),
- 1 acre site east of the library and
- Former Esso Bulk Station site.
- Develop an effective asset management system.
- Focus on achieving organizational efficiencies.
Ten-Year Financial Strategy
Please note: as of 2015, this information is incorporated into the Report to Community.
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Ten-Year Financial Strategy
- Capital projects infographic: projects, timing, financing and more